You can add an external link to you left-hand course navigation within Canvas. Consider adding an external link to a research guide that has been created for your subject area or course or to our 24/7 chat service Ask-a-Librarian. You can add more that one external link. (If you would like a research guide created, please contact your faculty librarian liaison.)
To add an external link:
1. Within your course, scroll down and click on Settings on the left-hand side navigation.
2. Several tabs will open up. Click on the tab that says Apps.
3. Scroll down until you see an app that looks like a blue curved arrow. When you scroll over the arrow it will say it is called the Redirect Tool. Click on the app.
4. A box will pop open that you need to fill out:
- Leave the name of the app as Redirect Tool.
- Enter the name of the external link.
- Enter the URL of the external link.
- Click on the little box that says "Show is Course Navigation."
- Click on Submit.
The app will show up in your list of apps.
5. Reload the course using the browser refresh button.
The link should show up on your left side navigation. (It might take a few minutes.)
6. Move the link where you want it within you list. Don't forget to hide the Library Resources link!