Open access resources are databases and journals that are searchable and accessible to anyone via an internet connection. (They are freely accessible and do not require a paid subscription). Full text content for some of these resources may be limited.
The list below includes open access sources for health and exercise science topics:
1. PubMed - PubMed comprises more than 30 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
2. Google Scholar - Provides a search of scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources, including theses, books, abstracts and articles.
3. DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals) - Provides growing access to free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals. Some titles included are BMC Sports Science, Medicine and Rehabilitation; Extreme Physiology & Medicine; Journal of Sport & Health Science; Journal of Exercise Science & Fitness.
MCC subscribes to a variety of subscription databases. Access to these databases is available to MCC students, faculty and staff. To view the comprehensive list of all library databases MCC subscribes to, choose the eResources link from the library home page. The following databases and online journals listed below will be your best resources for health and exercise science related topics (off-campus access requires an MEID and password).
1. Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine Collection - A comprehensive collection of periodicals supporting physical therapy and sports medicine.
2. Medline-the largest biomedical/health article database in the world. Excellent coverage of exercise science and sport science although full-text may be limited.
3. Academic Search Premier - a multidisciplinary scholarly database with coverage of biological and exercise sciences and issues relating to these fields.
4. Academic OneFile - a multidisciplinary peer-reviewed database with coverage of medicine, science and technology.
5. ScienceDirect - search and access the scholarly collection of Elsevier science journals, books and reference works.
6. CINAHL Plus with FullText - the Cumulative Index of Nursing and Allied Health Literature database including exercise science content.
7. Health Source Nursing/Academic - an essential source for nursing and health research. Includes pediatrics, mental health, critical care and more.
8. Psychology & Behavioral Sciences - search over 500 journals in the field of psychology and behavioral sciences.
9. PsycArticles - Search over 100 journals from the American Psychological Association (APA) in the field of behavioral sciences.
10. PsycInfo - Indexes over 2,500 journals in the fields of behavioral sciences and mental health.
1. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise - contains full-text access to all articles published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise from 2004-present. Indexed (abstract only) in Academic Search Premier and Academic Onefile.
2. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research - contains full-text access to all articles published in the Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research from 2004-present. Indexed (abstract only) in Academic Search Premier and Academic Onefile.